Welcome to Purple Books Publishing!

Purple Books Publishing illuminates the lives, history, and scholarship of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and our allies of all ages.

Divisons include: memoir and biography; history, academics, research and commentary; youth and young adult; and poetry, scripts and art books.

Portions of sales, both online and in print, are donated to various LGBT youth, aging, university, and health organizations. When your non-profit organization hosts a reading/book signing, proceeds from sales that day, both online and in person, go to directly to your group.




Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Workshops and Writing


I’ve been attending workshops at the Port Townsend, WA, Writers Conference. I love going to class. I love being a student and learning new things, especially about honing the craft of writing. One workshop is how to expand scenes, to make them pop and come alive. As writers we tell stories. Our descriptions must be available to our readers, rich but not schmaltzy. Oh, sometimes schmaltz works but mostly we must provide words that allow readers to “see” the story.

While I publish books, I’m still primarily a writer. The book on which I’m currently working excites me very much. The draft is so rough and yet when I read it, I can’t wait to get to the next part! It feels juicy, real, and yet unreal, too. It brings the past and the present together as it weaves an intergenerational tale of WWII, but in a different way than I’ve seen before. When it’s near completion I’ll put some on this blog for reader critique and input.

In the meantime, let me know on what you’re working.\

Keep writing!
Ronni

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your voice to the conversation!